The Ardnamurchan Peninsula lies due west of Fort William in the West Highlands of Scotland. Its southern coast runs alongside Loch Sunart and the Sound of Mull. The northern coast looks towards the Hebridean islands of Skye, Muck, Eigg and Rum. The coastlines meet at Ardnamurchan Point, the most westerly point on the British mainland.
The 35 metre granite tower soars 55 metres above the rocks, and was built in 1849 using granite from the Isle of Mull. It was designed by Alan Stevenson, uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson, whose family designed most of Scotland’s lighthouses over a period of 150 years. The lighthouse and Keepers’ Cottages are designed in an “Egyptian” style, with a number of attractive decorative details. Like all other lighthouses in Scotland, Ardnamurchan now operates automatically, but the tower remains fully functional and still plays a vital role in ensuring the safety of ships navigating the waters off Scotland’s west coast.
The former Keepers’ Cottages and outbuildings have been managed by the Ardnamurchan Lighthouse Trust since 1996. Supported by the Scottish Land Fund and Highlands and Islands Enterprise, the Trust completed a Community Asset Transfer to bring the lighthouse complex (exclusive of the tower) into community ownership in July 2020. The site operates as a visitor attraction and social enterprise, offering guests the chance to learn more about Scottish lighthouses and the flora and fauna of the Ardnamurchan peninsula.