The Ardnamurchan Peninsula lies due west of Fort William in the West Highlands of Scotland. Its southern coast runs alongside Loch Sunart and the Sound of Mull. The northern coast looks towards the Hebridean islands of Skye, Muck, Eigg and Rum. The coastlines meet at Ardnamurchan Point, the most westerly point on the British mainland.
The 36 metre granite tower soars 55 metres above the rocks, and was built in 1849 using granite from the Island of Mull. It was designed by Alan Stevenson, uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson, whose family designed most of Scotland’s lighthouses over a period of 150 years. It is the only lighthouse in the world designed in an “Egyptian” style. Like all other lighthouses in Scotland, Ardnamurchan now operates automatically, but the tower remains fully functional and still plays a vital role in ensuring the safety of ships navigating the waters off Scotland’s west coast.
The former Keepers’ Cottages and outbuildings have been managed by the Ardnamurchan Lighthouse Trust since 1996. They are now operated as a visitor centre, offering the chance to learn more about Scottish lighthouses and the flora and fauna of the Ardnamurchan peninsula.